Los Catrachas: A Honduran Retreat
A friend recommends we try one of the newest Casual Spanish restaurants “Los Catrachas” for a late lunch. Spanish food with a little twist: Honduran Spanish Food impresses with a sample of two items from the appetizers menu. Not really in the mood for a full meal, we decide to order a Tamale and a Papoose off the menu as per server suggestion. I was reassured that it would fill me up and give a sample of Honduran food. Being on point with quick service, arrives a round flat bread papoose with Meat and Cheese inside and a side of cabbage along with the large tamale. A bite of the papoose while placing the cabbage on top was a treat and gave an amazing flavor, the taste of the warm papoose and the cold cabbage, was very impressive which is an excellent choice for an appetizer. Next was the Tamale up for taste, outside presentation was as good as a tamale gets (corn mash-up cannot look that impressive), Displayed on a banana leaf. I have tasted my share of different kind of tamale’s from many Spanish establishments. I have to say that this Honduran Tamale exceeded my expectations, Filled with a large portion of pork, cooked to perfection, very large sized and tasted great. If you stick to the appetizer menu, you can consider this restaurant a delicious top cheap eats. The papoose and tamale is an excellent combo, great homemade taste, very filling and unbeatable price.
- Atmosphere: Neat and clean presentation with a very unique ‘Brick Style’ Interior. Casual restaurant also offers bar style seating by the entrance.
- Service: Great server recommendation for an authentic Honduran taste without having a full meal. To the point wait time with just the right amount of service.
- Food: Excellent taste and a decent presentation for the Appetizer menu. Much better than average Tamale and a very unique and tasty Papoose
- Overall: This review is based on two appetizers from the menu which can be classified as ‘Cheap Eats’. *We have not tried an entree at this location but based on the items we have tried, this restaurant for Full Dinner or Lunch Sit down is recommended.
- Star Rating: 5 Stars in Upper 1-$ price Range
- Restaurant Menu, Photos and Information Page
WhereYouEat.com is Staten Island’s most Comprehensive Dining Guide and Restaurant Portal.
Star Rating explained: A (1-$) restaurant is held to different standards than a (5-$$$) restaurant.
About WhereYouEat Media Reviews: Our reviews are 100% Unbiased, Unpaid and Not-Influenced by Potential Advertisers.